Saturday, February 12, 2011

Soft 'n Gooey Boiled Eggs

Semi-hard-boiled eggs with a silky smooth white external and a soft creamy centre

I have never really tried making eggs this way before, except when I unintentionally overcooked my supposedly soft-boiled eggs. The first time I had eggs like this was at Ryo's Noodles in Crows Nest a long time ago. It came with the bowl of ramen I ordered, and of course, those eggs different from the ones I made here. G thinks that they used duck's eggs, but I'm not too sure. Those eggs were sweet and gooey and a little gelatinous in texture. They were perfect.

I made these eggs (weighing 59g each, straight out of the fridge) by putting them in lightly boiling water for about 7 minutes. Then I plunged them in a bowl of iced water mixed with some vinegar. This stops the cooking process, and the vinegar makes the eggs easier to peel. I recently found out that the reason why eggs are sometimes so darn hard to peel is because the eggs are too fresh! So a little vinegar helps. Either that or use eggs that are 4-5 days old. I like having my eggs slightly cool, so I placed them in the fridge for a while before serving them. Or just have them at room temperature.

Here are some links to sites on how to make soft-centred hard-boiled eggs:


Had these eggs with some nasi lemak (coconut rice) and deep-fried spicy chicken